Ovetta Sampson is a lifelong stealth athlete. Beginning at age 7 when she learned to swim at the YMCA in her Roseland neighborhood she’s been an athlete only she doesn’t see herself that way. She just likes to have fun and challenge herself.
- She began coaching as a swim instructor for the Chicago Park District at age 17 as a camp counselor.
- She began doing triathlons in 2004
- In 2005, she began managing the content for beginnertriathlete.com and created the Ask the Doc, Expert columnists and it’s membership structure.
- In 2008, she founded FITT LLC, a training and coaching summer program for minority youth age 8 to 14 in Colorado Springs. Youth received swim, cycle and run training as well as nutrition plans written by well-known nutritionist Bob Seebohar, who works with Olympic medalists and training plans written by USAT Level 1 coaches.
- In 2010, she became a coach with Tri-Masters Sports Initiative a triathlon training program for minority youth ages 8 to 14 as well as indoor tri coordinator.
- In 2014, she received her certification as a swim coach from United States Masters Swimming
- She is currently pursing her USAT Level 1 Coaching certification.
- She has done more than 30 races and lost 110lbs on her way to completing Ironman Cozumel in 2013. She’s completed FOUR 1/2 Ironmans, and more than 15 Olympics, sprint triathlons and numerous aquathlons. She’s also competed in several half-marathons, two marathons and numerous 5K’s and 10K’s.